Attorney Profile: Douglas T. Tabachnik
Douglas T. Tabachnik is a member of the Law Offices of Douglas T. Tabachnik, P.C. He has more than 36 years of experience in bankruptcy and commercial and consumer litigation. He is one of only a handful of lawyers in either New York or New Jersey that is certified as a Business Bankruptcy Specialist by the American Board of Certification, a non-profit organization sponsored by the American Bankruptcy Institute and the Commercial Law League of America and accredited by the American Bar Association. He is the immediate past Co-Chair of the Creditors' Rights and Bankruptcy Committee (2005-2017) of the Commercial and Federal Litigation Section of the New York State Bar Association. He has been ranked among the top five percent of New Jersey attorneys by the publishers of the Super Lawyers® list and he has received an AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell®. This rating indicates other legal professionals in the community have found Mr. Tabachnik to have an exemplary knowledge of the law and to have consistently acted in a highly ethical manner.
Douglas T. Tabachnik
Bankruptcy Litigation(30%); Commercial Bankruptcy(30%); Fraudulent Conveyance Litigation(10%); Debtors Rights; Creditors(10%); Commercial Litigation(10%); Insolvency; Debtor and Creditor Rights; Debtor and Creditor Reorganization; Business Fraud; Creditors Rights in Bankruptcy(10%)
1981, New York; 1982, U.S. District Court, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York; 1990, New Jersey and U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey; 2000, U.S. Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit; 2004, U.S. Court of Appeals, 3rd Circuit; 2008, U.S. Supreme Court; 2009, U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York; 2013, U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois.
Syracuse University, J.D.
Syracuse University, Whitman School of Management, M.B.A. (Joint Degree with J.D.)
George Washington University, B.A. with Special Honors
New York State Bar Association (Chair Emeritus and immediate past Co-Chair, Creditors' Rights and Bankruptcy Litigation Committee, Commercial and Federal Litigation Section, 2005-2017; Committee on Bankruptcy Law, Business Law Section); New Jersey State Bar Association (Member, Bankruptcy Section; Legislative Coordinator, 2004); New York County Lawyers Association (Member, Committee on Corporation Law, 1983; Committee on Bankruptcy Law, 1990); American Bankruptcy Institute (Member, Commercial Fraud Task Force, Committee on Bankruptcy Litigation); Commercial Law League of America; New Jersey Bankruptcy Lawyers Foundation (Trustee, 2004); New York Institute of Credit; Turnaround Management Association; Federal Bar Council (Bankruptcy Committee, 2016)
Associate Member, 1978-1979 and Member, Board of Editors, 1979-1980, Syracuse Law Review
Bronx, New York
In re Scandia Seafood (New York) Inc. , 2017 Bankr. LEX 1298; Schwartz v. Boom Batta Inc., 137 A.D. 3d 512; In re Crumbs Bake Shop, Inc., 522 B.R. 766 (Bankr. D.N.J., 2014); Johns-Manville Corp. v. Chubb Indem. Ins. Co. (In re Johns-Manville Corp.), 517 F.3d 52 (2d Cir 2008); The Asbestos Personal Injury Plainitffs v. Traveler's Indemnity Company, et al. (In re Johns-Manville Corporation), 476 F3d. 118 (2d Cir 2007); In re Dana Corporation, 2008 U.S. Dist Lexis 71430 (S.D.N.Y. 2008); Youngman v. Bursztyn, (In re Bursztyn), 366 B.R. 353 (Bankr. D.N.J. 2007); In re Dana Corp. 344 B.R. 35 (Bankr. S.D.N.Y. 2006); Gibbs v. Marine Midland Bank, N.A. (In re Gibbs), 2000 U.S. App. LEXIS 23769 (2d Cir. 2000); In re Gibbs, 230 B.R. 471 (Bankr. D.Ct., 1999); Cassirer v. Herskowitz (In re Schick, et al), 234 B.R. 237 (Bankr. S.D.N.Y. 1999); Condren v. Harrison (In re Borison), 226 B.R.779 (Bankr. S.D.N.Y. 1998); In re Strober, 136 B.R. 614 (Bankr. E.D.N.Y. 1992).
- Mr. Tabachnik is the past Chair of the Bankruptcy Litigation Committee and Co-Chair of the Creditors' Rights and Bankruptcy Committee, respectively, 2005-2017, and continues as a member of the Executive Committee of the Commercial and Federal Litigation Section of the New York State Bar Association.
- Mr. Tabachnik has been a frequent guest lecturer for the National Business Institute in New York on the topic of bankruptcy and debt collection, and has also lectured on dot-com bankruptcies for the NBI.
- Mr. Tabachnik has been program chair on bankruptcy litigation forums sponsored by the New York County Lawyers' Association.
- Mr. Tabachnik has also been program chair for evening forums sponsored by the New York County Lawyers' Association on tax issues in bankruptcy and bankruptcy litigation.
- Mr. Tabachnik has been guest panelist for a forum on ethical issues in bankruptcy sponsored by the New York County Lawyers' Association.
- Mr. Tabachnik has been a guest lecturer for the New York County Lawyers' Association Committee on Corporation Law, speaking on issues regarding the piercing of the corporate veil and fiduciary obligations of directors and officers of insolvent business entities.
- Mr. Tabachnik is a member of the board of trustees of the New Jersey Bankruptcy Lawyers Foundation, a not-for-profit entity devoted to assisting pro bono clients with affording filing fees for access to the bankruptcy courts in New Jersey.
- Mr. Tabachnik is an active member of the American Bankruptcy Institute, the New York State Bar Association Bankruptcy Committee, the New York County Lawyers' Association Business Bankruptcy Committee, the New Jersey State Bar Association Bankruptcy Section, the Turnaround Management Association and the New York Institute of Credit.
- Mr. Tabachnik was awarded the Equal Justice Medal from Legal Services of New Jersey "[i]n recognition and appreciation for [his] extraordinary pro bono contributions as a private attorney to low income clients referred by New Jersey Legal Services programs." June 7, 2017 www.lsnj.org